Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 8XR
Salary: £38,257 plus benefits
Permanent (Full-Time, 40 Hrs)
Here at Serco, we are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Manager to join the Learning Support team within HMP Dovegate. Reporting into the Assistant Director/Head of Activities & Regimes, you will inspire and challenge staff to create a dynamic culture of learning and development for the men in our care. You will be leading the department in raising standards through implementing targets and continuous performance & quality improvement.
As our new Education Manager, you will need to demonstrate a clear and decisive leadership style, with effective management of staff whilst working strategically against contractual targets. We are looking for an individual who has experience with OFSTED and improving OFSTED standards as you will own the Performance Improvement Plan for the department. The overarching goal of this will be to offer as much activity to the men as possible, within a strict timetable whilst improving our Ofsted score. A key part of this role will include the ability to plan and organise workload and working proactively & effectively in a busy environment.
The successful Education Manager will be expected to ‘own’ the department whole heartedly, without reliance on higher management, therefore you must have well developed organisational, communication & interpersonal skills and display high energy, drive, and an entrepreneurial attitude to work. You will engage confidently with all learners including those that demonstrate more challenging needs, while demonstrating consideration to equality & diversity so it is essential that you have experience in managing teams in a challenging environment. Other duties include:
- Providing an innovative, stimulating, and flexible provision which reflects and responds to the diversity of the students’ needs.
- Driving Student success; through high retention and achievement rates and ensuring that students receive the highest standards of teaching, learning and support.
- Attending and actively contributing to the Work Allocation Board and all other relevant boards/meetings as required as well as working collaboratively with other Managers and teams across the establishment.
- Completing performance and development plans (PDR) for all team members and monitor any outcomes and achievements. Compiling action plans for any non-achievement of targets.
What you will need to do the role:
Due to the nature of the role within the establishment, it is essential that the successful candidate has proven teaching and/or relevant commercial experience and knowledge of current practices in the education sector. You must hold a current teaching qualification, and desirably an assessor and verifier award. Qualifications include Management & Leadership accreditation (CMI/ILM or similar), DTTLS/Certificate in Education / PGCE.) and Level 5 Subject Specialism.
You must be able to demonstrate previous experience of:
- Line Management in an Education setting.
- Line Management in a Secure/Custodial environment. (Desirable).
You will also be expected to give examples of the following:
- Making effective decisions
- Leading and communicating
- Collaborating and partnering
- Building capability for all
- Managing a quality service.
- Resilience in a challenging environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity and hugely rewarding for someone who has the ability to reflect on their own performance and strives for continuous improvement. Please note, this role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all offers of employment are subject to Security Clearance and continued Home Office approval.
Meaningful and vital work – The nature of our business means you will do interesting work that matters – delivering essential services that touch people’s lives
A world of opportunity – Our diverse UK-wide operations offer unrivalled opportunities to learn and develop. You’ll be able to broaden your experience and apply your skills in new ways.
Great people – We are a motivated team who will encourage you and help you to succeed. You’ll have the resources you need to do your job in a diverse and supportive environment.
What we offer:
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A safe and supportive culture
- The chance to make a positive difference to the prison and court systems
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Serco Benefits package
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application.Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
We’re a Disability Confident employer and are committed to equal opportunities. If you have any additional queries, requirements or you need more time to apply, then please contact our recruitment team directly. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco supports fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the ‘Ban the Box’ pledge (some may be exempt due to thenature of the role and the security clearance required).