Barton Peveril is a large, popular and successful Sixth Form College in Eastleigh, Hampshire. We have high expectations of our students. Students and staff praise the friendly, lively and modern community in which we work. We also offer many benefits to our employees including: final salary pension scheme, excellent staff development, commitment to staff health and wellbeing, onsite free gym, modern campus and onsite parking.
We are looking for a Learning Support Assistant to join the team. Experience of supporting in class with a focus on high needs students would be advantageous. For further details, please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
Job Purpose: To provide essential support to those students who would otherwise be disadvantaged by their learning difficulties and/or physical and/or emotional disabilities.
- To assist the students, enabling maximum achievement in a safe environment.
- To take positive steps to get to know the individual strengths and weaknesses of the students who you support enabling them to learn more effectively.
- To be aware of students’ target grades and adjust support as appropriate.
- To enter into a dialogue with each student about their progress and the actions needed to improve.
- To reinterpret material where necessary, to enable student access.
- To liaise with class teachers to provide the best support for the student.
- To modify teaching materials where necessary.
- To assist students in research and follow-up work as required, within examination board guidelines.
- To extend support to other students in the group who feel the need of some back-up and refer to Learning Support Department where appropriate.
- To assist students on a one-to-one basis in such aspects as study-skills, revision techniques, spelling and punctuation etc.
- To act as an amanuensis, reader or invigilator under internal and external exam conditions.
- To provide personal assistance in some cases when necessary.
- To attend appropriate calendared meetings.
- To participate in professional development activities.
- Review with their line manager on an annual basis their responsibility and role within the area; setting and reviewing agreed targets on an annual basis / reflecting college objectives and curriculum targets / aims.
- To take part in college Quality Assurance procedures, such as course reviews.
- To participate in peer observation procedures.
- To implement the College’s Strategic Plan in relation to Learning Support.