To assist in the management and education of children and young people with additional support needs (ASN).
A Learning Support Worker may be asked to work with any child or group of children either within a department or within a mainstream class. They may be asked to work alongside and with specific guidance from any teacher within a School. Work around an individual child may be based on an individualised education programme. This programme is followed by all staff working with the child / young person and may involve working with professionals and therapists e.g. Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Child Psychologist, etc.
Please note that this job is not Career Graded. What this means is that a successful candidate would be employed as either a Qualified or Unqualified Learning Support Worker. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed to determine whether they meet the person specification criteria of the qualified or unqualified Learning Support Worker role. This would determine the salary/rate of pay, as well as what duties would be expected of the post holder during their employment. The Job Profile documents at the end of this advertisement describe the qualified and unqualified roles in more detail.
Sandwick Junior High School is a non-denominational school located in Sandwick. It provides early years, primary and secondary education up to S4 for children from Sandwick and the surrounding area for primary and the whole South Mainland for secondary. The structure of the school is early years with extended hours, 5 primary classes and secondary 1-4 classes. There is currently a total of 250 pupils on the roll. The school is managed by a Head Teacher and 2 Depute Head Teachers. For more information about the school you can visit our school glow blog or contact the school office on: 01595 745320
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link(s) below for further information –
- The grade of this post is F or G
- This post is not career graded
- Rate of pay shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £1.1732
- Temporary Term Time Part Time post for 30.0 Hours per Week , 39 weeks per year plus 6.04 weeks (pro rata) paid holiday to be taken during school holidays. Temporary contract for a period of approximately 7 months
- Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update prior to a formal offer of employment being made
- A relocation package does not apply to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within Shetland
- We are happy to talk flexible working
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based at Sandwick Junior High School, Sandwick, Shetland.
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Colin Gillespie, Depute Head Teacher, on 01595 745320, or Email
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.