Our Opening and Your Responsibilities
Mettler Toledo is seeking a highly driven, technically and commercially astute Product Manager, to join the Metal Detection SBU (Strategic Business Unit), part of MT’s Product inspection Division. The role will be a pivotal part of the Product and Programme Management Team and play a leading role in helping us maintain and increase our position as market leader within the Product Inspection Industry.
The Product Manager will lead the deployment of MT’s multi-year, multi-phase, next generation metal detection portfolio, across all hardware, software, system and process platforms. Providing the unique chance to define and deliver the products and solutions that will delight and disrupt the industry for the next 10+ years, this role offers extensive challenges and rewards, for the candidate able to demonstrate both the hard and soft skills required to be successful.
The Product Manager role, reporting directly to the Head of Product and Program Management, will add capacity and drive, to enhance the scope, and reduce the time to market of all new Product portfolio additions and enhancements. The role will also play a critical part in defining and delivering both the Product, and Service growth strategy over the coming years.
Key responsibilities include:
Product life cycle management (PLM)
- As a key member of the product life cycle management team the Product Manager will work to establish and improve the lifecycle process from product conception through to retirement.
- Working closely with the Programme Manager, become a business champion for PLM processes, ensuring strict implementation of procedures such as milestone reviews and strategic control documents, and increasing wider internal awareness via internal training and advocacy programmes.
Metal Detection Expert
- Develop a clear understanding of the metal detector market, and the competitive landscape, providing effective direction and communication to the internal teams, with respect to market needs and competitive intelligence, and utilising this information to shape product value propositions.
- Develop an in depth understanding of the product portfolio from both a structural and commercial aspect, becoming a focal resource supporting both Operations and Sales.
- Develop a clear understanding of the food safety standards, guidelines and procedures that affect or influence the metal detection market as well as the compliance requirements such as CE, Machinery safety directive, hygienic design and explosive safety.
Communication of customer driven requirements from the market to the SBU (Strategic Business Unit)
- Work with the senior management of the SBU and MOs (Marketing Organisations) and the SBU technical team to develop and document the metal detection product strategy.
- Work with the MO sales teams, SBU sales, production and quality management and the SBU technical team to develop project briefs for product development projects. These will include product specifications, cost targets and timescales.
- Act as the sales and marketing representative on product development project teams.
- Develop communication channels with customers and other key external stakeholders, to provide structured and relevant input to product development process.
Communication from New Product Introduction (NPI) teams to sales and marketing of product releases
- Take product specifications, features and benefits and working with the SBU marketing manager communicate these to the sales and marketing teams worldwide. The output of this process will include data sheets, brochures, application notes, sales training and presentation materials for both original equipment and aftermarket products.
- Work with the SBU technical and marketing teams to ensure that product releases and updates are effective and timely.
Development of sales tools and arguments and competitive product analysis
- Work with the technical and marketing teams to develop, document and communicate sales arguments. Analyse competitive offerings and identify, document and quantify our competitive advantages.
- Develop counter arguments to competitor’s sales arguments and marketing material and become an expert with respect to the competition.
Part of the support to the MOs
- As a member of the SBU sales and marketing team and working with and through the country market managers and MO management the
- Product Manager will help support the MO sales teams with training on both original equipment and aftermarket products and sales tools and arguments.
- Management of the Technical Authoring capability within the SBU.
- Defining, driving and managing the development and delivery of all supporting technical documentation, such as Installation or Operation manuals, to support internal and external stakeholder product understanding.
- Gain a clear understanding of product cost structures for existing products and support in the setting and maintenance of annual pricelists, pricing policies and regular new product pricing requests.
- Support in establishing and implementing product pricing strategies. Set pricing for new products commensurate with competitive position, market conditions and premium brand pricing position.
What You Need to Succeed
- As a minimum will be qualified to degree level in an electronic / electro-mechanical related discipline and probably have some post graduate commercial, marketing and/or general management education or experience.
- Good industrial product management experience and experience of introducing new products is essential
- Able to demonstrate success in defining and launching market leading products within their given field of expertise.
- Experience working within instrumentation, packing equipment and / or product inspection industries would be advantageous especially if supplying the food and/or pharmaceutical industries.
- Technical credibility is an essential requirement for this role which should be capable of being achieved via demonstrated high standards of professional and technical competence.
- Previous experience in supporting sales and marketing activities in a business to business environment is considered desirable.
Our Offer to You
- Competitive salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Agile Working (Hybrid)
- Stakeholder Pension
- 4 x Salary Life Insurance
- 25 days holiday plus holidays, rising with 5 and 10 year service increments
- Free car parking at site (with electric vehicle charging if needed)
- Opportunity to be involved in Charity Fundraising
- Employee Assistance Programme
About Mettler Toledo
METTLER TOLEDO is a leading global supplier of precision instruments and services. We are recognized as an innovation leader and our solutions are critical in key R&D, quality control, and manufacturing processes for customers in a wide range of industries including life sciences, food, and chemicals. We operate throughout the world with a culture shaped by innovation and international flair.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We promote equal opportunity worldwide and value diversity in our teams in terms of business background, area of expertise, gender and ethnicity. For more information on our commitment to Sustainability, Diversity and Equal Opportunity please visit us here