Brockenhurst College has an exciting opportunity for a SUN Progression Mentor to join their dedicated and enthusiastic team. You will be working on a full time, fixed term basis until 31 July 2022 receiving a rate of £18,350-£20,442 per annum pro rata.
We are a high-achieving college who attract around 2,800 sixth form students across the region each year. We are based within the stunning New Forest National Park and offer our students a huge range of courses and superb facilities.
The Southern Universities Network (SUN) comprises a number of higher education providers, further education colleges, schools, and other organisations in Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. It is part of the Uni Connect initiative. Funded by the Office for Students, Uni Connect is currently focused on providing targeted higher education outreach to young people in Years 9 to 13 living in particular geographic areas.
The programme aims to:
– Reduce the gap in higher education participation between the most and least represented groups
– Support young people to make well-informed decisions about their future education
– Support effective and impactful local collaboration by higher education providers working together with schools, colleges, employers and other partners
– Contribute to a stronger evidence base around what works in higher education outreach and strengthen evaluation practice in the sector.
The successful SUN Progression Mentor will work under the overall direction of the Admissions and Progression Manager, with regular liaison with SUN Further Education Project Leaders within the SUN Central team at the University of Southampton.
The post-holder will be responsible for leading and developing the college’s engagement in the Uni Connect programme. The post-holder will act as the point of contact for targeted students, working with them on a 1-2-1/small-group basis, to enable them to realise their aspirations, supporting their social and academic progress through to level 4 study, and encourage students to engage in local and national education and employment initiatives.
The successful candidate will help to raise the profile of SUN and Uni Connect and will work with colleagues to develop their own SUN-funded, Uni Connect -focused projects. They will also support the development and implementation of a project programme that supports the overall aims of Uni Connect. This will also require the post-holder to draw together resources from individual partners, training providers, third sector organisations, LEPs and employers to create subject/industry-specific opportunities spanning education and employment.
Our ideal SUN Progression Mentor will need:
– Skill level equivalent to achievement of HND, Degree, NVQ4 or basic professional qualification
– Comprehensive knowledge of the secondary, tertiary and higher education sectors
– Significant experience of working with young people in an educational environment
– An understanding of the widening participation agenda with regard to schools, further and higher education
– Proven experience of developing and producing high quality resources
– Successful experience of giving presentations to large groups
– A full, clean driving licence and a willingness to travel
Benefits of becoming our SUN Progression Mentor:
– Access to onsite Gym, Tennis/Badminton courts, Football pitches (indoor & out)
– Weekly staff Yoga and Football
– On-site Nursery offers childcare at superb rates in and outside of term time
– Enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme
– Free eye care vouchers
– Free secure onsite parking
– Access to a range of discounts including shopping, travel and healthcare
– 25 days leave plus bank holidays (pro rata for part time staff)
– An option to purchase further leave through our Annual Leave Purchase Scheme (Support Staff only)
– Access to our Employee Assistance Programme provided externally to the College. This is a completely confidential service and is free to all members of staff at the College
Closing Date – 3rd October 2021
If you feel you are the right candidate for this SUN Progression Mentor rolethen please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK